Sunday, January 1, 2017

The Harry Paine I know
Levy Abad- January 1, 2017

courtesy of Cooking the Revolution
On the afternoon of December 31st, I received an email from David Camfield of Solidarity Winnipeg that Harry Paine passed away. This is precisely what Harry told me early November when I picked him up and brought him home from a seniors’ event. Harry casually told me that he will be leaving by December. Although I know that this will happen soon, I was momentarily speechless upon hearing the sad news.

I vividly recall when I phoned Harry on November 10th to touch base and that was when he told me about his health condition. I volunteered to pick him up from a seniors’ event he was attending somewhere in Provencher Boulevard and bring him home.  I saw Harry with his shoulder bag going to and fro consulting with leaders of the seniors’ community.  Aware of his condition, Harry nevertheless went about his usual business.  He told me that he felt a bit dizzy, but as always, he added that the revolution has to advance all the time. Hearing those words reminded me that anyone who considers himself as a revolutionary should never slumber nor sleep.  A revolutionary has to advance and defend the gains of the struggle all the time.  

with Harry at the Grace hospice
From the seniors’ event, I brought Harry to his new place somewhere along Portage Avenue near Grace Hospital. There we had a nice chat.  I teased him about his room in the hospice that in the developing world, a room like that is only reserved for the comprador bourgeoisie, a layer of the bourgeoisie that is servile to foreign monopoly capital.  In contrast, revolutionaries die in poverty, unattended when they are sick. Meanwhile, Harry pulled out a list of books and told me that I could choose and he will gather and reserve them for me. I chose at least four books about the revolution in China. I asked him about the book that he was writing and he said that it is still an ongoing project and so I have to be content with his articles and his video titled “Cooking the Revolution,” a film by Dodie Graham McKay.

I commented to Harry that I am fortunate to live in a first world country and see for myself the dynamics of activism here which gave me a deeper understanding of comparative revolutionary theory. He showed me some of his stuff and when a Filipina health aide entered his room, I asked the lady to take a picture of me and “uncle” Harry, as I usually address him.  A few days later, I called him up to ask when I can pick up the books. Unfortunately, a snow storm hit the city on December 6th, which prevented me from driving to his place.

Harry was a cadre of the revolution as he usually says. He never made excuses about his personal state nor heard him talk about his dire straits. The Harry that I know possesses a classic revolutionary attitude of not wasting his time on his blues. Everytime we meet, Harry and I would discuss about the issues and situation whether locally, provincially or federally. We also conversed on books, ideologies and the isms of the day. Theories that work and theories that don’t.  Even if we did not agree on some things, we agreed to disagree. We talked about the good old days when activists still know what to do and are still into immersing in the community.  I guess, Harry discerned my ideological preference, but has already matured to engage in ideological “ecumenism.” Harry’s love for the people and their welfare is beyond question.

Harry is a legend in the community.  Sometime in late 2015, I used to hang out at the kitchen of Mitch Podolak, the founder of the Winnipeg Folk Festival with another friend Pablo Herrera where we had coffee, cookies and sung Viva La Quinta Brigada, Bella Ciao and other internationalist anthems.  In our conversation, I learned that Mitch was also influenced by Harry into social activism back in his younger days in Toronto. In the hospice where Harry spent his last days, I saw a Certificate of Appreciation that recognized his 30 year contribution as a volunteer of the Winnipeg Folk Festival and a news article titled “Fixing the Food of the Folk Fest for 40 years, Mixing Social Activism and Cooking” by Carolyn Shimmin- Bazak. As a lone Filipino folk singer recording artist and social activist here in the Peg, I like the quote from Harry that “Music has always been a political statement.” Harry likes music when it is not created for profit.

From the time I worked for the government as a community outreach staff back in 2010 to 2016, I used to meet and consult Harry together with another friend, Boyd Poncelet, about the nature of the organizing process here in Canada and Manitoba. I learned a lot by listening in the discussion. Although I differ with Harry in areas concerning the developing world as I do not only have theoretical knowledge of the process, but also the practical experience, I am fortunate to have befriended  Harry Paine.  Hence,wherever you are  Harry, I thank you for all the times we had a chat about life and struggles and the revolution in the broad sense. You have devoted your life in fighting for and defending the gains of the Canadian social movement, and now it is time to rest. I know if you have a choice, you will go on serving, as dramatic antics of giving importance to yourself is not your cup of tea. In life, you gave light and endured burning. In your passing, rest assured that the movement will advance and your revolutionary dream will never die although it may take a different turn, as it has always been the case.  Long live Harry Paine! Hasta la Victoria Siempre! or in Tagalog ,"Sulong, Hanggang Tagumpay!"  In the midst of the differences and convergences, I will turn my grief into courage to struggle for the betterment of the community.


No comments:

Post a Comment